Thursday 11 October 2012

For Men Like Us, Brita Addams





Another fantastic read from Brita Addams. This time a M/M historical.

- Review by Kazza K

I'm starting with a declaration that I found it very hard to review this book. I absolutely loved it. I just found it hard to put that in words. So I hope this review is clear.

For Men Like Us by Brita Addams eBookPreston Meacham is home to England after the Battle of Salamanca ended his military service. It is now 1814 and he is struggling to hold down a job of decent standing, and ends up working in, lord I hate the term, a Molly House - which was a gay...'meeting place' of it's day. Whilst on his way to work there one night he meets a stranger who offers him good money for sexual company at his residence, not at the Molly House. After a brief conversation Pres takes up the offer, which then ends up as a weekly standing-arrangement. Not for long though, as an attachment forms and Pres moves in with Benedict Wilmot to act as his secretary of sorts, whilst they are also lovers.

Benedict Wilmot is a man of means who has also been injured during the Napoleonic Wars, but he now walks with a limp and the use of a cane. You know from the get-go that there is a connection or something that ties him to Pres.but you don't know what. Ben also starts investigating Preston. What is it exactly he's looking for, and why? In the beginning Pres's difficulties were more on the page, Ben was more enigmatic. Pres still developed as the book went along, you learned of his family and his background more and more. Ben was somewhat more in-charge, at first, but you knew all was not well, just not the full extent of it. As the story progresses, and they move on to Wilmot Down, Ben's Cambridge estate, he is having nightmares and bouts of insomnia, and he's more intense. You felt something nasty or difficult had happened, but what was it? On top of the nice relationship that was developing there was the investigation of Pres also happening in the background. I found I had to keep reading to know what was happening. I loved Benedict Wilmot and when his story came out in full it just made me mad, sad, and I wanted to hold him. That's all I'll say.

What I liked -

The book's opening was pretty dramatic and served as an excellent hook. The story was beautiful and flowed perfectly. It kept me interested throughout, never did the flow get bogged down in war, sex, difficulties, angst or anything else. It had moments of hard times, first from Preston Meacham's perspective through to Benedict Wilmot's; then as a couple. It had sexy moments, some light angst, and wonderful characters all around. All combined with excellent storytelling.

The setting, I do so love an historical or period piece. I believe all the information to be pretty accurate of the time.

The dialogue and writing was just lovely. You cannot write an historical novel in the English of that time. I, for one, would not understand it. However, the writing was charming and lyrical.

I love the title of this book, For Men Like Us - the men that it refers to, and why. Mostly due to the  wonderfully kind, and compassionate Ben Wilmot. I absolutely loved this man-before-his-time. His generosity, his indominatable spirit, his kind soul, his respect of others, his ability to love with his whole heart, mind and body. Who he surrounded himself with. He was someone who tried to make his part of the world a better place for others.

I liked Pres, too, he has suffered. For a while he is unsure why a wealthy man would take him in and pay him to do very little. There has to be a catch. Historically men have not been too keen to do that, they want something or are unkind. He has some soul-seaching to do in the latter part of the book and had to find his place in the world, find himself. He also had to learn forgiveness and understanding.

It had a very satisying epilogue, which left me smiling and content. From the prologue, in 1814, to the epilogue, in 1820, so much had changed for both men, for the better.

There is nothing I didn't like about For Men Like Us.

I do like historical or period pieces - books, TV shows, and movies. A lot of my historical reading now centres around an erotic storyline. I got exactly what I was looking for here in Brita Addams lovely M/M historical, For Men Like Us. Highly recommended reading, even for those who may not ordinarily read historical erotic or romantic writing.

5 comments:

  1. I normally find myself avoiding historical books but this one looks good. I will have to add it to my TBR shelf. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very good. Brita Addams knows how to write well.

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much, Kazza, for the wonderful review. I am so pleased that you liked Ben and Preston's story.

    Hugs,
    Brita

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. I did like Ben and Preston's story. I think I'm going to pinch Ben, sorry Pres :) I totally fell in love with him .

      Cheers,

      Kazza

      Delete
  3. Oddly, when I was writing it, I kind of thought that Preston would be my favorite, but Ben really came to the fore and Pritchett's loyalty, for instance, showed me the man. I know that must sound odd for a writer to say, but for me, the characters always guide me. Ben spoke very loudly and he was totally right.

    Thanks again, hon.

    ReplyDelete